Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Relationship Series Part 1

I am going to start my relationship series. This will entail my relationship, my past relationships, breakups, issues, etc. If you have anything you want me to talk about leave a comment below and I will make a post about it! But today I am going to talk about my current relationship. I read a book called Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert (she wrote Eat, Pray, Love btw). This is one of my all time favorite books, she analyzes marriage and relationships, coming to terms with them from a cynical and then historical standpoint. I LOVE this book! It made me reevaluate and rethink my views. Annnnyways, she said something that has stuck with me, and since I have lent my book out, I cannot directly quote it but I can paraphrase. 'If you ever need a conversation starter, ask a couple how they met, there will be drama, suspense, a plot, highs and lows, and it will end with a happy 'here we are now or happily ever after' type.' Every couple loves to talk about how they met. So here's my story.

Steve and I met on December 28th, 2013. I had been home in St. Louis for a few weeks on break and was spending most  of my time in front of the fireplace with a book. I had gotten out of a two year relationship at the beginning of November and I was still recovering. I had gone on a few dates, and was talking to a guy, but I knew it wasn't going anywhere. Especially since I had finished up PhD applications and had no clue where I was going to be after graduation. So I wasn't feeling very social. But that night, my mom hinted, well clearly said, "you need to go out, go do something!" So I begrudgingly texted my friend Rachel to see what she was up to. She said she was going to a soccer bar by her house (She lives downtown) and I should come. She said it was going to be some friends. So I drug myself off the couch, through on a sweater and boots, still wearing my glasses, headed downtown. I walk in the bar, texting Rachel, and I spot her. And immediately spot a guy at the table, in a Mountain Hardware jacket with a high and tight. (For anyone non military, its basically a giveaway that they are in the service.) Whoa he was hot! But I didn't want to say anything, so I just asked her what she wanted from the bar and got us two beers. We headed back to the table, and I sat down next to his twin brother. I talked to his brother most of the night but still when I could, I would engage the cute marine with stories of hazing etc. My friend ended up leaving around midnight but I stayed for another hour. After saying bye, I left and headed the 30 miles home. The next morning, she texted me asking what I thought of Steve, I said I thought he was reallllly cute. She said good! He wants your number. Three excruciatingly long days later, he finally messaged me. He had left right after we met, to get back to his base and work out in San Diego. I was leaving in a week to go back to Charleston, SC to finish my Masters. We were on opposite sides of the country, it wasn't going to work. Well, five days later he booked his flight to Charleston. And we had our first date on Valentines Day (Im not one of those cheesy girls so GAG on the special date on a special day crap!). I took him to my favorite BBQ hole in the wall restaurant. Six months later, we are still together. We see each other about once a month for an extended weekend and we have regular Skype dates. Considering we are both from St.Louis, and our families live there, it makes things a little easier. And now that I live in Missouri, we are no longer a country apart. We make it work. He got me books for Valentines day and flowers this past Monday for my first day of my PhD! Who does that?! He's wonderful, and since he doesn't read my blog, I can gush (Even though I cringe when girls do this). Steve is great, he's 28 and an officer in the Marine Corps. He's working on his Masters in History. He is smart, kind, funny, goofy, touchy feely- something I am not, loves to work out, eat healthy, read, travel, hike, camp- ehhh, not my thing. He loves me unconditionally and puts up with my insecurities and my goofiness. He is beyond supportive, one of my biggest advocates, my wrestling partner, and he makes me want to be better every day. He is not my happiness or the end all of my life. I may be 24 but I am not that disillusioned by love. He is a great compliment to my life. I love him very much, and I am counting down the days until we roadtrip to North Carolina and Virginia in July. Yes, we both do things that drive the other crazy, good and bad. But we work, and I am happy. Happiness is always my goal in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment