Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Apartment Week: Color Schemes

I have been struggling with finding the right color combinations for sections of my apartment. Although I have a studio, I wanted to separate the “living room” from the “bedroom” section. Thus I have slightly different color schemes for each. My “bedroom” section is white furniture with white bedding and accent throw pillows. I found the bird pillow at a Marshalls and wanted to build the whole bed set around it. I am still debating on the peach pillows but for now, they will do. (They have removable covers which help immensely if/ when I redecorate) I like the idea of white bedding with a pop. I’m looking to invest in a more down comforter for the winter, but until then. My living room couch is a coffee tan color. I wanted to do an Americana theme but I have settled for the coffee tan color, whites, and red accents. The side tables and coffee table being white, I needed a little pop. I found the red throw pillows at Walmart for $5 each but I couldn’t find any oversized and comfy white pillows I liked. So I was researching online and found the no-sew DIY pillow covers. They are interchangeable and I made for half the price thanks to Hobby Lobby coupons and discounts. Now I have three white pillows with different prints, two red accent pillows, and I am debating on throwing in another pillow. (Picture to the right is a preview of my apartment)  I am also excited to make plaid covers for Christmas time and just pop off the white ones and switch. I also have two throws I want draped over my couch, giving it a very homey feel. I still haven’t found a rug that I love and with the wood floors, I feel like I need one. So that will be my next project. I’m planning a trip to Kansas City once their Ikea opens so hopefully I find one!

Here is the link to the DIY pillow cover tutorial (for someone not crafty, this was super easy!)

If you are looking for great color combinations for decorating, check out Design-Seeds.

http://design-seeds.com/

Have fun!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment