Friday, July 4, 2014

Road Trip: {Packing for 10 days of travel}


I am always a last minute packer. Looks like I need it? Throw it in duffel or my suitcase and go. Lately I have been trying to pack more versatile pieces so that I can mix and match outfits. I also try and layout possible outfits to coincide with the itinerary- yes, this couple LOVES itineraries- there is no such thing as winging it. This is my summer trip, as much as I would love to take a week to sit on Kiawah Island with a Yuengling in hand, this summer won’t be the time. I will be back to my second home in November though, so I am not too upset. This trip, Steve and I are taking ten days, TEN WHOLE DAYS, to drive from St. Louis to Wilmington NC, to Pinehurst NC, to Williamsburg VA, to Quantico, to Ann Arbor MI, and then back to St. Louis. One GIANT loop.  We have a lunch with my other dads, Steve is meeting my grandparents, celebrating my great grandfathers 102nd birthday with him,  history geeking out in Williamsburg, taking Steve to my favorite campus: William and Mary, seeing Quantico, and finishing with a wedding in Michigan.

When packing I try to make three separate sections: clothing, electronics-if needed, and toiletries.

I have a complete luggage set from Kenneth Cole but I have been eyeing this overnight bag from Marly Lilly for some time and it might go on my Christmas wish list or my 'whenever I can afford it' list. This would be perfect for the trip.

1.  I always have a travel bag readily available that contains a new toothbrush/ toothpaste, Q-tips, travel sized shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray, and bobby pins. Then I pack my toiletries bag which will always contain my every day makeup, my Naked2 palette, make up remover wipes, clean makeup brushes etc. Another small bag will have hair straightener, brush, dry shampoo, dry oils for glossy hair, etc. I also will pack my vitamins, inhaler, a nailpolish for touch ups, face scrub, and my razor. 

2. I like to make a list of what I will need for the ten days, or however long I would be gone to stay organized and not over or under pack. I also tend to roll my clothes instead of folding and stacking in my suitcase. This helps to pack more and save space while also leaving clothes less wrinkly.

  • Four pairs of shorts: khakis, white, black, and coral 
  • Two pairs athletic shorts- grey, black
  • Jeans, 2 white, one blue
  • 3 Nice dresses for wedding/ going out
  • 4 Casual dresses: black tshirt, two striped, floral
  • One or two bikinis? 
  • Coverup if needed
  • One sweater
  • Four tshirts 
  • 4 Tank tops
  • 6 tops
  • A clutch, crossbody, pink handbag
  • Toiletries
  • Running shoes, nude pumps, black pumps, sandals, leopard flats, Keds 
  • Whatever you are forgetting 
3. Electronics: l usually don't take my laptop but since this is a longer trip and I still will be checking my email for work, I need to pack my laptop and charger. For the car, I need to have my iPod, charger, headphones, cell phone wall and car charger. 

Since we are taking my car, I also need to make sure my car is cleaned, vacuumed and oil is changed. 

Despite last minute odds and ends like a cooler for Gatorade, water, and snack. We should be good to go! I am so excited for this next adventure and to see Steve's face at Monticello and Williamsburg. It's going to be fun! 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment