Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My first year as a PhD student in Review

I began my PhD in June 2014. I reported to my lab not knowing what the hell was going on. Almost a year later, well, I am still alive. MU conducts a yearly progress report in which you fill out forms online outlining accomplishments, class credit hours, research, conferences, manuscripts, etc. You then submit and have a meeting with faculty representatives of the graduate college. This happened last week. I sat in that meeting answering lots of questions and thinking "wow a year has passed! I got so much accomplished yet I still felt like I should have done more." You can always follow my twitter to see my day to day feelings about my PhD and the love/hate relationship. But here are a few things I have learned my first year of my doctoral degree.

1. This is nothing like my masters.
2. My vocabulary has significantly improved in science jargon.
3. When you are with other PhD students, all you will talk about is research.
4. What is sleep?
5. I need to write. All the time. Publications don't write themselves.
6. My education loans from undergrad and masters are kicking my ass in interest rates.
7. Two words: Imposter Syndrome.
8. Conferences make everything worth it. Especially if they are in a cool location.
9. I love reading. I HATE reading journal articles- especially if they are 25+ pages.
10. This is a team effort. Reading other people's manuscripts and revising is the new norm.
11. You can't do this without the support of friends and family. Serious support system.
12. I started running. I run, because it's cheaper than therapy.
13. You have to make an effort to have a social life.
14. Your brain will feel like mush- a lot.
15. Just when you think you can't handle anymore, you can.
16. I need to schedule my comps!! Like ASAP. If I can ever get my committee in the same room.
17. I can set up an experiment: aquariums, fish, chemical solutions like nobody's business.
18. Pulling together a presentation in less than a week happens more than you think.
19. I love lab and field work. Writing, not so much.
20. Drinking rarely happens. (Most grad students would disagree)
21. Time management is like playing tetris with your schedule.
22. You recognize scientists by name from their papers and research. And think you know them.
23. My boyfriend is amazingly supportive of his stressed out, nerdy girlfriend.
24. I get asked the questions below almost every time someone learns that I am a PhD student.

Embedded image permalink


No comments:

Post a Comment