Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mourning the loss of a great scientist and mentor

Yesterday morning, my co-advisor past away at 64 years old. Three months ago, I was making smart ass jokes and aggravating him in his office. He was my first class of my PhD program. He was the first person to force me to read a 26 page article to discuss “for fun.” He was my first mentor and advisor that made an impact. He was my protector, my cheerleader, my guide, and sometimes my guidance counselor. He knew the good, the bad, and the ugly. He got a salute from me as I left the office each day. He was a Marine in Vietnam who never talked about his time in service or his honors and awards but had a badass tattoo hidden under his sleeve. I was the only one who somehow was able to call him out for it and he wasn’t mad. He was one of the top herpetologists in the world boasting over 220 of the most cited publications on salamanders. My favorite quote from him “we don’t cite the literature, we write the literature.” He was a wonderful dessert baker, coffee and donut connoisseur, a loving husband, and a doting father. He will be forever missed.

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

Psalm 56:8

No comments:

Post a Comment