Monday, May 11, 2015

The Wedding Date

I love weddings. I know I sound like a typical girl but I honestly, immensely enjoy weddings. I have been attending weddings (18+) for the past several years. Not only have I been a guest, I have worked the wedding seasons at the country club for the past 10 years. I make it a point to save something from each wedding whether a place card, a menu card, a wedding favor, a picture of the layout, try a slice of cake, etc. The father-daughter dance is always my favorite part of the reception so I always make a point to be able to not only watch but note the song choice. For someone who has worked over a hundred rehearsal dinners and wedding receptions, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. I have a running list of DJs, color combinations, bakers, etc. I just find wedding time so magical. The air is electric with hope, excitement, and love exudes (As long as the bride is not a bridezilla).


This past weekend, S and I attended our sixth wedding together in the past 18 months. We have been invited to a few more but our schedules are a little crazy. I love going to weddings with him- we have the best time and it only strengthens and reaffirms our relationship and commitment to each other. Here are a few of my favorite reasons I love going to weddings:


1. Getting Dressed Up
S will tell you- I begin shopping weeks before. The perfect dress to dance, something usually from Eliza J (Sucker for box pleats, fit and flair) I pour over Nordstroms website to find an outfit. I just love getting ready. I will usually do my own makeup but I like to go to a blowout bar and get my hair done. I have been to three Drybar locations- so far Boston Back Bay location is my favorite.

2. The ceremony (the look on the bride, groom, and father of the bride's face)
This past weekend we were in Boston for our friends' wedding. I ended up fixing her train and veil before she walked down the aisle so I actually didn't get to see the sheer joy on their faces but I saw it in pictures later. Always melts my heart. S and I usually hold hands the whole ceremony, periodically sneaking grinned glances at the other as well vetoing certain parts of the ceremonies we do not like i.e. mixing sand in a vase or lighting a unity candle.

3. The Food
I have yet to be at a wedding where there was horrible food. I have been to a wedding where they ran out of food. Rule #1 of having a buffet- it might be cheaper than a sit down plated dinner but you must always order more food than necessary. Any excuse to get a steak or a surf and turf option is my idea of 'my happy place.'

4. Dancing
Now I love my boyfriend but he is an awful(ly) cute dancer. He still dances with me and lets me sing to him. I love slow dancing and serenading him because he doesn't know the words to "Remember When" by Alan Jackson. (I cry every damn time I here that song) I will also most likely cry during the father-daughter dance. I like the traditional dances- no synchronized evolution of dances please.

5. The Speeches
There is nothing better than a memorable maid of honor or best man speech. Equal parts funny and sweet (and sometimes awful). My brother gave a best man speech last year and he was so nervous, he fumbled through his speech. It was sweet but didn't make the wedding video. The father of the bride speech is always a crowd favorite but I have been to three recent weddings where the dad ends his speech by saying "I am not losing a daughter, I am gaining a son."

6. Cake!!
I love wedding cake! I think that will be my favorite part of planning my wedding is trying all the different icings and cake flavors! I am still a vanilla with almond frosting wedding cake fanatic. I actually am not a fan of the dessert buffet. It is very wasteful and never gets eaten. I also get annoyed when all the guests get barely a SLIVER of cake.

7. Partying with Friends and Family
Nothing more fun than being on a dance floor singing "Living on a Prayer" with my mom and cousins. Even better when it's open bar and every one is well past their first and second drink. I love the reunions that happen at weddings.

8. Meeting new people
S met my family at a wedding for the first time. I met most of his extended family at a wedding as well. It's a great place to introduce someone and also meet other couples. We have met so many great and fun couples through the past two years.

9. Wedding Venues
We have been to Michigan, Boston, Pocahontas (Illinois), St. Louis locations. It has been so much experiencing different wedding ceremonies and different reception venues. They are all so unique and so fun.

10. Jack in the Box after the wedding and Morning after wedding
The best breakfasts are the ones after a wedding. Usually everyone is hungover so a big breakfast is always a must. But my family tradition is to get about 30 tacos from Jack in the Box after a wedding and bring them to an after party.

I seriously adore weddings and I love spending this time with my boyfriend celebrating friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment