Friday, November 21, 2014

Marine Corps Ball: Finding a Dress

I have to be completely honest; dress shopping for a Marine Corps Ball (MCB) is tough. Especially at 24. I didn’t want to wear a “prom” looking dress but on the other hand, I didn’t want to look matronly. I started look at Pinterest and googling “marine corps ball dresses” for ideas months ago. Ok, like six months ago. And I could not find a single thing I liked. The dresses were either very scandalous, revealing, or too old for what I wanted. So I started my own Pinterest board of dresses I liked, some were not “ball appropriate” but I liked them so they were added. I can’t tell you how many ‘follows’ I have received just on that board. Apparently I am not alone. And I have to say after experiencing my first MCB, some of those scandalous dresses I saw online, were definitely worn. Slits were a little too high, breasts were pushed up, together and out for the world to see, and some were a little too tight for comfort. It was entertaining to say the least! But that wasn’t the look I was going for. I am the girlfriend of a Captain, I am in a PhD program, and I was raised to dress appropriately. I wanted to be on a different level.  I enlisted the help of my mom. She knows what looks good on me and I know if a dress or outfit doesn’t work for my body shape, she will steer me in another direction. I also didn’t want to spend an insane amount of money on a dress, I kind of did, but that was with alterations included. So between my mom and I, browsing department stores, etc. we settled on a few Nordstrom dresses. I ended up ordering online from one of my favorite designers, Eliza J. Her dresses fit me perfectly, her box pleats, the cut, the quality, just overall awesome. Below are a few pictures from the ball and a few tips and tricks to other ‘newbies’.
My Eliza J dress from Nordstroms







Tips On Dress Shopping:

1.      Most women at the MCBs wear long formal gowns, you can wear a shorter dress but it is supposed to be past your knees. Not a lot of women can pull off that look, me included, so I would opt for a long gown. Don’t be that girl that was in a micro mini at a formal.
2.       Heels. I stupidly wore my brand new 4 inch nude strappy heels from LuLu’s. Great idea at first, stupid idea by hour 5 of standing. I should have brought strappy flats in my clutch to switch to if/when my feet got tired.
3.       Think before you buy a dress. Do I want my husband or boyfriend’s boss to see me in a thigh high slit? Probably not. You are a representation of your date.
4.       It’s not about you tonight. It’s about your Marine. Make sure that you are supportive, ready to shake hands, smile, and make pleasant conversation.
5.       Be able to have a conversation. Find things in common with those at your table to strike up a conversation so no one will be sitting in awkward silence.
6.       Know the rank system. I can find my way around the rank structure fairly well. But do not call a SGT, “sir”. If you don’t know what their rank is, wait for your date to introduce them. I promise you, the rank will come up.
7.       Shop for a dress earlier rather than later. Because most likely, it will need to be tailored.
8.       Tailoring. I can’t tell you how many dresses I saw that the bodice was not tailored to the girl’s rib cage or chest, leaving a large gap in between the dress and the body. Yikes!
9.       If you have tattoos, (nothing wrong with it), but try not to display too many. Wear your hair down if you have a monster tattoo on your back. Avoid that kind of attention. Unless you’re into that kind of thing.
10.   Have fun, enjoy yourself, maybe dance.


 I do love getting all dressed up, and I love seeing S wear his uniform. We didn’t get a lot of pictures but maybe next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment